Race Car for sale – 1974 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0 RSR
This 1974 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0 RSR is being offered for Auction at the Gooding & Company’s Amelia Island event that is running on March 13, 2015.
From the lot listing for this Porsche 911 Race Car for sale:
- A Correct and Historically Significant Example of the Revered 3.0 RSR
- Illustrious Six-Year International Competition Record
- Beautifully Restored, Race Proven, and Presented in Café Mexicano Livery
- Offered with Current FIA Papers and Reports from Jürgen Barth and John Starkey
- Eligible for Tour Auto, Le Mans Classic, and Rennsport Reunion
In 1974, Porsche created the Carrera RS 3.0 with mechanical fuel injection producing 230 PS (169 kW). Its price was almost twice that of the 2.7 RS, but it offered a fair amount of racing capability for the money. The chassis was largely similar to that of the 1973 Carrera RSR and the brake system was from the Porsche 917. The use of thin metal plate panels and a Spartan interior enabled the shipping weight to be reduced to around 900 kg (1984 lb).
The Carrera RSR 3.0 was sold to racing teams, and scored outright wins in several major sports car races of the mid-1970s. Also, a prototype Carrera RSR Turbo (with 2.1 L engine due to a 1.4x equivalency formula) came second at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1974 and won several major races, a significant event in that its engine would form the basis of many future Porsche attempts in sports car racing. Save for the earlier Porsche 917, it can be regarded as Porsche’s start of its commitment to turbocharging also in road cars.
PRICE: Auction Estimate –$1,200,000 – $1,500,000
Check out the auction Lot information at goodingco.com.